Sunday, March 18, 2012

Responsibilities, plans, and Devil's Peak

Hello all,

The past two weeks since my last post have been largely filled with the routine of school and ultimate.  The papers I've been doing have unfortunately inhibited my ability to do anything overly adventurous, with the exception of today, but I'll get to that later.

Saturday morning training with UCT Ultimate is in full swing, and we are all prepping for nationals in a month or so.  Still having a blast playing ultimate with, practicing with, and more generally just getting to know the UCT team.

To my dismay, my Township Debating League school has cancelled on us twice in a row, once for exams, once for some sporting event.  I'm looking forward to getting back there and working with the kids as soon as I get a chance.

Less than two weeks from today marks our nine-day Easter break. Right now, Steve, Flo and I have tentative plans to take a road trip out east, possible checking out the Garden Route, an elephant park, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Swaziland, Pretoria/Joburg, Bloemfontein, and back to Cape Town. Those are some of our ideas, but we'll have a flexible itinerary, allowing us to spend more or less time anywhere that we'd like. Despite lots of time in a car, I'm looking forward to seeing the greater South Africa.

Here's the google maps link: http://g.co/maps/682m7

Today my friends Sid, Abe, Karan and I set out at 8:30 for Devil's Peak.  There is only so much I can describe about the hike, so I'll upload a few pictures to help me out.  Long story short, it was a ~7.5 hour hike, and easily one of the most incredible things I've experienced so far.
At the peak, admiring the view. My companions from left
to right: Abe, Karan, and Sid.
On our way down. Pictured is the harbor area of Cape Town.
Lookin' fly.
Karan and I Looking back at our accomplishment. Devil's Peak is in the middle,
and misleadingly appears to be the tallest of the three, Minor Peak (where we ate lunch) is on the right,
and Table Mountain is on the left.
Amazing. Next is Table Mountain. Next weekend maybe?

To digress a bit, my Blogger account gives me data letting me see from what countries my views are coming.  I can't help but notice that, to my surprise and amusement, a handful of my blog views come from South Africa. My theory is that my housemates/friends must be interest to see if I talk about them in my posts.  Well consider this a shout-out to you guys Highfield Flyers.  If I had the time, I'd love to share all of the cool things they are doing as well: learning to dive, surfing, hiking and camping, supporting the UCT Ikey Tigers at rugby games, going to see the live music of Goldfish at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden.  But of course, this is just scratching the surface.

I think that shall be all for today. It's time to make some dinner and study for my upcoming exams and maybe start on some papers. Thanks for reading, if you have any questions or comments, you know the drill.

Cheers,
Andrew


2 comments:

  1. Hey Andrew! Thanks for posting. What beautiful views. I`m glad it`s not all work and no play!
    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howzit, Bru?

    I'm hoping that we can set up a Skype opportunity in the next week or two (weekends work best for me but I can be flexible). Paula and I are coming to see you in a couple of months and I know that Paula is beginning to get a little anxious to plan some of our excursions. I think that I would like to do a shark dive if you are up for it.

    By the way, have you had an opportunity to (or rather, have you taken the time to) reschedule your flight plans? I suspect that I know the answer to that.

    We returned from Jamaica yesterday and, despite having to go back to work, am pleased to inform you that it's a warm and balmy 60 degrees here. It's good to see spring return.

    Anyhoo, I'm glad to hear that you're well (are you sporting a beard in one of the pictures?) and we're looking forward to visiting in June. Please do let us know when we can communicate via Skype (or another means if it is easier).

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete