It's been something like three months since my last post, and I must admit, I feel a bit guilty for neglecting it all this time. However, I've come back for one last post for anyone who might still be interested. I'll have a brief description of my last month(ish) in Africa, and pack the rest with pics and some videos. I'll be posting even more on my Facebook, so keep an eye out there as well.
Finals
My finals consisted of a final paper and a final written exam for each of my three courses. By some miracle, my schedule allowed about a week between each requirement, which made finals a drawn out, month and a half long process, but kept me from being totally overwhelmed.
My semester in South Africa was easily the most academically challenging semester of my undergraduate career, with almost new material, a different teaching method, and very high expectations. I can also say with confidence that it was the semester in which I learned the most.
After Finals in SA- Cape Town
By the time I was finished with my last final on June 7th (if I remember correctly) I had already said goodbye to most of my friends. However, not long after my dad and step-mom flew in to Cape Town and I was able to show them the city I called home for the semester. After a few days in Cape Town, we began our short tour of the surrounding countries.
 |
| Trip up to Table Mt., shot from ascending cable car |
 |
| On Table Mountain |
 |
| Negotiating a price for a painting |
 |
| Penguins on Boulders Beach |
 |
| Driving on the left side of the road is scary |
 |
| Paula and I at Boulders Beach |
Zimbabwe/Zambia- Livingstone
We flew into Zimbabwe from Johannesburg, but spent little more than a few hours there before we crossed the border into Zambia. In Zambia, we stayed two nights in the David Livingstone Lodge, right on the Zambezi River, and a short drive away from Victoria Falls.
 |
| The majestic Victoria Falls |
 |
| Great action shot by dad |
 |
| Andrew (left), Vic Falls (right) |
 |
| View from resort |
 |
| Geared up for the mist from the falls |
Botswana- Chobe

The video below is one of the coolest videos I had taken during the trip. We were lucky just to have seen it, let alone capture it.
Botswana- Xugana
 |
| Sweet sunset shot + creeping hippo |
 |
| Goliath crane |
The video below shows how we got around the Delta
South Africa- Franschhoek
Our last two days were spent in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch South Africa, tasting wines and eating well.
 |
| Waterford Winery |
 |
We were amused that the door handles
were down at knee level |
 |
Formatting and arranging photos on this blog is
not a very user friendly process. So please pardon the
weird arrangements and inexplicable text highlighting. |
Home Again, Home Again...
Since my return, I've been mostly back in Madison working by day, and roasting in the mid-west humidity by night. In a little over a month, I'll be entering my final year of undergrad at UW-Madison and am looking forward to my next opportunity to see a bit more of the world.
Thanks to any and all who had checked out my blog during the semester. It gave me an incentive to keep it up and provide myself with an online travel journal of sorts.
Like always, if you have any questions, don't hesitate.
Enjoy the rest of the summer folks,
-Andrew
No comments:
Post a Comment